Saturday, February 4, 2012

Pens V's Pencils

Back in December I took part in the December Riverland Kaszazz Scrapbooking card challenge and this was my entry.

I coloured the image using Whispers Strokes pens, after stamping the image with black Staz-on ink.
I was recently asked by a customer what I had used, but really wanted to show that for a very cost effective alternative you can use water colour pencils.

 
Now as I really wanted to show the difference so I have made two more, but coloured one image (left) with the pens and the image on right with Faber-Castell water colour pencils. I won't go into the "how to" as you can see loads of how to videos on YouTube and each brand of pens or water pencils are different what I tell you may have worked for the brand I used it may not for you. Whats the cost difference? Well again that is going to differ but pens will set you back around $3.50 - $5.00 each and a packet of 24 water colour pencils you can pick up for around $20.00- $30.00 depending on brand. Trial and error and practice before you use on a project.
Hope this helps...Kelli this post was for you :)

Thanks for stopping by and happy crafting, Tracy

*note I will pop back later and list the items I used...as right now I must run, the worms are calling and I hope the fish are biting :)

Right so that's it for today, as we are off fishing! (crossing something else off my "goals list"...doing something crazy with the kids)

Items used..
Whispers Strokes pens by Sugar loaf
Staz-on black ink
Sizzix texture plate set 655671 the plate I used was Holiday Trees
Faber-Castell watercolour pencils
Rebekka Erickson paper "Mum's Christmas RE2005.14
Bazzill basics in Ivy and craft (unknown red from card challenge)
6mm rhinestones
Zig two way pen
Pop dots

 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. @
    Thanks for sharing. I never thought to use water colour pencils, but the effect is very similar and still really effective. I supose there would also be no harm in using both pens and pencils in the same piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leah.
      You most likely could use both, I find with the pencils you need to have them quite sharp if you are doing fine work such as on this card. Also by using the pencil wet, rather than colouring then blending with water you get a brighter colour too.

      Delete
  2. :) Thanks for this - thinks I need to buy some water colour pencils and have a play

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to look at my papercrafting products and projects.